Really? Organic From Mexico?
It all starts with our farm, in the heart of Sonora’s Empalme valley. Our water comes from a well (and is constantly checked to verify purity), we make our own 100% organic compost, use our own state-of-the-art worm house to enrich our soil, and grow everything from non-GMO, organic seeds. Once our vegetables are grown, they’re shipped to the Covilli warehouse in Nogales, Arizona – which is also 100% Organic, as well as being Food Safety certified.
Don’t take our word for it, though. Take a look at our certifications, and see for yourself.
- PRIMUS GFS (Global Food Safety), GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices)
- PrimusLabs is a third-party auditor that ensures we’re up to par with all of our food safety practices. They perform yearly 3-4 day audits which include testing our products and water, and reviewing paperwork. In addition to our GFS certification, we also maintain the GAP and GMP certifications, making our annual audits some of the most comprehensive available.
- Our entire operation, from our farm to the warehouse is certified Organic by Primus Labs based on the National Organic Program (NOP) put forth by the USDA. Each year, we are up to date with changes and undergo extensive inspections to ensure that everything we produce is 100% organic.
- Annnnd! when crossing the border from Mexico into the U.S. our products are subject to random testing by the FDA for pesticide and insecticide residue as well as microbiological presence (salmonella, listeria, etc.). They are also checked by the USDA to prevent introduction of pests (white fly, moths, etc.) that could affect local crops.
- Fair Trade
- We’re proud to be certified by Fair Trade USA. This certification includes extensive audits and accountability to ensure that we are a fair employer and that our workers receive fair and timely wages, housing, transportation, medical care, and education for their children. Our certification also results in a Fair Trade Premium, which guarantees that a portion of all of our sales goes directly to a bank account for our workers. They then control those funds democratically, and can use them to better their communities in ways that they see fit.
In addition to our certifications, we take every step to be a progressive farm, and ensure that our customers are getting the best produce available. As part of our commitment to the environment, we recycle all plastic, use non-GMO seeds, and compost all clean, cardboard. Our farm is truly 100% sustainable, organic, socially conscious and healthy, from seed to shelf.